A while back XKCD created a comic called "Up-goer 5". It was about the Saturn V but with explanations using only the thousand most used English words. Inspired by that comic, Theo Sanderson is asking that people describe their research in the same way.
Quite a few astronomers have already taken part. For example:
- Nicole Gugliucci likes to "write and talk about stars on the computer place";
- Leo thinks about "how space and time move when we change the picture";
- Katie Mack asks "what the dark stuff is made of";
- Ryan says why "stars that burn in a huge way are very important for us to learn about because they tell us how big everything in the sky really is";
- Keri Bean uses "space buses on a big, cold red rock in space to take pictures of the rocks and the sky";
- Chris Tibbs says how it "would be easier to see the oldest light if it wasn’t for all the other light that comes from the many many large groups of stars that also fill the entire sky";
- Emily Lakdawalla says "tiny animals can live when big sky rocks hit them".